I plan to tackle the challenges in “Programming Challenges: The Programming Contest Training Manual” using various programming languages.

These posts are meant more as a retrospective on how a particular language hindered or aided the resolution of the challenge. I am not going to go over the challenge itself, but if you are interested, pick up the textbook or take a look at my repo on GitHub.

This week, I completed challenge 1.6.1 in Python.

Continue reading

Yesterday I had to troubleshoot an issue where he was not receiving emails from his WordPress contact form plug-in.

After fiddling around with the settings, I was able to successfully send emails with the plug-in to my Gmail address. This narrowed down the issue, or so I thought, to the actual e-mail addresses he was using. Perhaps they weren’t configured properly? After some more testing, those inboxes receive mail just fine.

So what is the issue? An Exim configuration (or lack thereof) was the answer!

Continue reading

Last time I posted, I talked about how I wanted to play around with OpenVZ and get a feel on how to create containers and possible automating the process; however, there has been a change of priorities.

Namely, I got engaged and have been tasked with the job of creating a website that will manage and help organize our wedding day (well I tasked myself with it as a chance for me to brush up on my Ruby and web development skills). So, for the next little while, I will probably be posting about my trials and tribulations on writing this app.

Continue reading

I manage a fairly basic web server for a client. The requirements aren’t very high – just make sure that the webpages are up and running.

The client uses WordPress with either the OptimizePress or OptimizeTheme installed and applied. The easiest way to main these web pages was to use VestaCP. Recently, the client wanted to install a SSL certificate on two of his domains – and immediately I thought this was going to be painful.

Continue reading

An item that has been on my to-do list was to create some Ansible playbooks to manage the servers/VPS that I have. In the past, I only really used one or two at a time which really didn’t justify having to use a server management scripts such as Ansible; however, since I have a few projects I want to work on, I thought it would be useful to make some scripts to help automate the simple tasks or tasks that I see myself repeating in the future.

Continue reading